Whether you’ve been diagnosed with ED or just looking to take preventative measures, there are many reasons to consider how to naturally prevent and treat erectile dysfunction. The good news is that in most cases, the steps that promote good erectile health will also promote overall wellness and increase quality of life. Taking control of your penile health can lead to so much more than just a better sex life. Discover how these natural ED treatment methods can help prevent, reduce, or even cure your erectile dysfunction.
Lifestyle Changes: A Natural Solution
An erection happens in the penis, but the process actually begins in the brain and it involves many of the body’s most complex systems. These include the cardiovascular, nervous, endocrine, and muscular systems along with many other factors. Natural remedies for ED will often help address issues with one or more of these other systems. As a result, the natural chain of events that lead to a satisfying erection can be restored.
If you are looking for effective ED solutions that are safe and natural, then lifestyle changes should be your first consideration. Unlike surgeries and pharmaceuticals, the side effects of lifestyle changes such as exercise, diet, and weight loss are spectacular. They include:
- Greater self-esteem
- Increased quality of life
- More strength & endurance
- Reduced dependence of medication
- Lower risk of cardiovascular disease
These solutions are research-based, carry little risk, are inexpensive, and have a significant impact on sexual health. It is important to consult your physician before you start any specific diet, exercise, or weight loss plan to ensure that it will not adversely impact your existing treatment.
It may seem too simple to be true, but a Harvard University study reported that something as simple as a 30-minute daily walk was linked to a 41% reduction in the risk of ED. A healthy erection requires strong muscles and good blood flow, both of which are greatly improved by physical exercise.
In addition to the physical exercise that improves cardiovascular health, there are also specific physical exercises which will target the muscles used to achieve and maintain an erection. Kegel exercises are designed to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles. They are often introduced to both men and women to help treat and prevent bladder leakage, but research shows that these same exercises can greatly improve erectile health. Kegel exercises are a simple and effective home remedy for erectile dysfunction
Research seems to indicate that the path toward erectile health may begin at the dinner table. One study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) showed that one third of men who reduced their consumption of fat/cholesterol and increased foods rich in plant-based fiber showed an increase in sexual function. A healthy diet will compliment an exercise routine as well as lead to better circulation, weight loss, and overall physical health.
The size of your waist may be one of the strongest predictors of your likelihood to develop ED. Research shows that men who have waistline greater than 40 inches are significantly more likely to develop erectile issues.
Research also shows a strong link between obesity and other health conditions such as heart disease, high blood pressure, and diabetes. These health conditions will impact the body’s ability to naturally produce an erection. Therefore, getting your weight under control may be one of the best long-term solutions to regaining control of your sexual health.
Herbs, Supplements, and Other Natural Remedies
There are countless herbs, supplements, and other products that claim to be a natural remedy for erectile dysfunction. If you have ever searched the internet for natural ED cures, you’ve likely been bombarded with websites, blogs, and ads that may seem too good to be true. Modern scientific research has shown that some herbs and supplements show promising results with certain patients; however, separating legitimate claims from harmful and dangerous products can be difficult. There are numerous products available online or in retail stores that claim to be the “Herbal Viagra” and make impressive promises about their results, but buyers should be very careful to research all claims to make an informed decision.
Here are some things to consider before you try any natural product that claims to treat or cure ED:
- Is it research-based? Any product can make claims, but if the claims are not independently tested and reviewed then there is a good chance that they are not true.
- Is it tested? Independent testing helps to ensure that the product you are taking is actually what it claims to be. Often, unregulated herbs and supplements have been tested and found to not contain what they claim. Some “all-natural” products have been found to contain various unnatural and harmful substances.
- Is it independently approved? Strict approval processes are critical to ensuring that what you are taking will not harm you.
- What are the side effects? Even natural herbs and supplements can have side effects. Since ED is often directly connected to other health issues, it is important to fully investigate all potential side effects. As always, be sure to consult your physician before starting any treatment, even if it claims to be all natural.
Acoustic Waves: A Modern Solution
For patients that are looking to avoid pharmaceuticals and surgery, there is a new state-of-the-art solution called Low Intensity Shockwave Therapy. This safe and innovative solution uses the energy from soundwaves to stimulate the body’s natural process of building new blood vessels (neovascularization). Once the body creates new vessels, increased blood flow often results in significant improvement or elimination of ED symptoms.
Contact us to learn more about any of the natural remedies listed above or if you would like information regarding Low Intensity Shockwave Therapy and other options to effectively treat ED. Schedule your appointment today and discover how you can regain control over your erectile dysfunction.
- Harvard Health Publishing “Benefits of exercise for the prostate and erectile dysfunction help”
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine “Diet Away Erectile Dysfunction”
- Cornell University “Central Obesity as Measured by Waist Circumference is Predictive of Severity of Lower Urinary Tract symptoms”
- Mayo Clinic “Dietary Supplements for Erectile Dysfunction: A Natural Treatment For ED?”